After dinner tonight I took a half an hour walk around the neighbourhood. The weather was just right. I’m slowly trying to incorporate daily walks each day after dinner. My neighbourhood is a relatively young one, always with young children and parents on street sides. The things I overhear the kids say always crack me up on the inside. While I strolled along into a little forest trail, a few boys shouted “KAWKAW! KAWKAW!” and all kinds of bird noises to establish their positions among the trees. Ain’t that the cutest thing 🙂
Dinner was very simple and included a zing of pesto. I grabbed this baby at Costco yesterday upon seeing how green and fresh looking it was.
I boiled 1 cup of pasta shells and 1/2 cup of whole wheat macaroni. After they were drained, I drizzled some olive oil. Then I cut a 300g block of extra firm tofu into small cubes. They marinated with pesto sauce + extra olive oil for about 3 1/2 hours in the refrigerator only because I had time. I usually skip the marinating. After marinating, I heated the tofu over a pan on medium-high heat for about 5 minutes just until they were thoroughly heated. I added them to the pasta, but I left out some of the oil that separated out from the heating.
Spinach was washed and dried, chopped finely and added to the pasta. I also added some grape tomatoes and probably used around 20 or 25. And seasoned with salt, pepper and some fresh lemon juice.
1 1/2 cup pasta, uncooked
300g extra firm tofu, cubed (about 2 cups)
1 1/2 to 2 cups spinach, finely chopped
3 1/2 to 4 tbsp pesto
1 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halve or quartered
salt and pepper
a squeeze of lemon
- Cook pasta for 8 to 9 minutes. Drain and add a drizzle of olive oil to keep them from sticking to each other.
- Drain the tofu, and cut into small cubes. In a container, mix the tofu with pesto sauce, add in extra olive oil if wanted. Marinate for 3 1/2 hours (but you don’t have to). Cook the tofu over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes until they are thoroughly hot. Add to the pasta.
- Chop up the spinach into fine pieces and add to pasta.
- Slice grape tomatoes into halves or quarters, depending on the size. Add to pasta.
- Season well with salt, pepper and the juice of about 1/4 of a lemon.