Did you know matcha powder is one of the most raved health foods because of its strong antioxidant and anti-aging properties? Other than that, the flavour in pastry is divine. Many Japanese restaurants give out green tea ice cream as a complementary dessert after meals, and if you have tasted it before that’s exactly what matcha powder used as an ingredient will taste like.
Matcha Chiffon Cake
Yield: 1 cake
Adapted from: Green Cilantro
- 3 eggs, separated
- 80 g caster sugar
- 90 g all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp matcha powder
- 50 mL vegetable oil
- 75 mL water
- Sift together flour, baking powder and matcha. Set aside.
- Mix egg yolks with 40 g of the sugar until pale and sticky. Add in oil then water.
- Mix in flour mixture.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until peak. Gradually add in the rest of the sugar.
- Combine the egg whites into the egg yolk batter slowly.
- Oiling pan is optional; pour batter into pan.
- Bake at 170 degrees C for 40-45 mins.
- Let is cool before unmolding.
- Decorate with icing sugar.
Chiffon cake turns so well each time and it does not require other artery clogging fats and as much sugar as usual cakes. It would be great for impressing guests, contributing to a pot-luck or even a coffee/tea snack,