Medjool dates are so sweet! They are nature’s candy. My first taste of date squares was just from a “Be Well” workshop last month. My program hosts monthly sessions with awesome free food
that is paid for by our tuition and a time for students to “relax”. After having a bite from the date squares I said to myself, “I have to find a recipe for this!” And I scoured, and found Oh She Glows’ amazing simple and vegan recipe. The coconut oil is the ingredient that makes the squares taste so good. I have tried the recipe without coconut oil, the taste is no where as distinct.
No Bake-Vegan Date Squares
Recipe from Oh She Glows
Yield: 25-30 small squares
Crumble & Crust:
- 1 1/2 cup oats
- 1 1/2 cup raw almonds or cashew (or both)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 Medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 25 Medjool dates, pitted and cut (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup water
- Blend together almonds ( or cashews), salt, oats. Slowly add in dates and coconut oil until crumbs form.
- Press into a pan and leave about 3/4 cup for later. Place the pan in the freezer for 5 mins.
- To make the filling, blend together the 25 dates and water.
- Spread over the crust.
- Sprinkle the rest of the crust mixture on top. Refrigerate at least 1 hr.